This project is a renovation of a former 1899 telephone factory into a rural regional transportation authority containing offices, an operations center, a bus terminal and shell space for future retail. Poorly maintained for years, as a storage warehouse, this boarded up 40,000 square foot facility had no historic protection and was vulnerable to demolition. In cooperation with the South Carolina Department of Archives & History, the architects restored the existing masonry shell and installed historically accurate wood windows in existing openings. In counterpoint to the historic structure, and to differentiate existing from new, contemporary elements and materials were introduced to define a new public entry, public spaces and new interior functions.

Before

Before